- Mostly parents are not very much clear about the difference between punishment and consequences, parenting is a tough task, being a parent one should know about the impact of these two terminologies on their children.
What are Consequences???
- something i.e. result or effect of an action
- the goal of consequences is to teach a lesson that further make child learn to make their decisions
- its purpose is to make child responsible
Example of consequence:
What are punishment???
- it cause suffer to one
- the goal is to give discomfort, it teaches children to respond out of fear
- it promote obedience but mainly cause bitterness, irritation etc
Example of punishment:
Impact of punishment on children:
Children with excessive punishments become afraid of their parents and thus become insecure than their peers
- Adopt bitterness:
There is a sudden change in the behavior of children and they become rude, they adopt bitterness and resentment
- Become aggressive:
The children who persistently got punishment will become aggressive and thus they they become short temper, which is neither good for them nor for others
How to give Consequence to your child:
There are some steps to give natural and imposed consequence to your child so that that they can learn to make right decision at right time,
- Control your anger:
Children learn from adult, when you show them anger and behave rudely they will take it from you, so you must have to be friendly and remain calm with them
- Give positive vibes:
Appreciate your children on doing good thing, always smile to them give them reward on achieving something
- Mind your language:
Children are very good observers and adopt quickly, so you must have to think twice before saying anything to them and avoid using harsh words in front of them and always use kind words
- Don’t give warnings:
Avoid giving warnings to your children, because by doing that they kept on doing that thing, in spite, of that make them realize their mistake.
- Be steady:
Don’t ignore your children mistake on and on, and if they make mistake you should give them consequence rather than giving warnings
so, every parents have to be kind towards their children and have to know the basic difference between punishment and consequence, in order to give their children the right thing they deserve.