Sophia is a social humanoid robot developed by Hong Kong-based company Hanson Robotics. Sophia was activated on April 19, 2015 and made her first public appearance at South by Southwest Festival in mid-March 2016 in Austin, Texas, United States.
Sophia has been covered by media around the globe and has participated in many high-profile interviews. While interviewers around the world have been impressed by the sophistication of many of Sophia’s responses to their questions, the bulk of Sophia’s meaningful statements are believed by experts to be somewhat scripted.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT SOPHIA
- In October 2017, the robot became a Saudi Arabian citizen, the first robot to receive citizenship of any country with additional rights of women like no wearing of abaya.and has no male guardian.
- Cameras within Sophia’s eyes combined with computer algorithms allow her to see.
- She can follow faces, sustain eye contact, and recognize individuals.
- She is able to express 62 facial expressions including the ability to cry.
- Around January 2018 Sophia was upgraded with functional legs and the ability to walk.
- She has good sense of humour.
- She has the ability to answer complicated questions with high accuracy.
AIMS FOR BUILDING
David Hanson has said that Sophia would ultimately be a good fit to serve in health care, customer service, therapy and education.Sophia runs on artificially intelligent software that is constantly being trained in the lab, so her conversations are likely to get faster, Sophia’s expressions are likely to have fewer errors, and she should answer increasingly complex questions with more accuracy.